Ontario is reporting 10 new deaths and 805 new circumstances of COVID-19 on Saturday, marking six straight days of greater than 700 every day circumstances recorded within the province.
Toronto noticed practically half of Saturday’s new circumstances, with 374 recorded within the metropolis. One other 107 had been reported in Peel Area, together with 93 in York Area and 70 in Ottawa.
The brand new circumstances mark an uptick from Friday, when 712 new circumstances had been reported.
The Ministry of Well being is attributing a part of that uptick to an add error, which it says has since been corrected. It says immediately’s numbers embody circumstances from Toronto Public Well being that ought to have been captured in yesterday’s depend.
Saturday’s new numbers come as Ontario introduced that tighter restrictions will take impact in long-term care houses in York Area on Monday to match these already in impact in houses throughout Toronto, Ottawa and Peel Area.
These precautions embody:
Limiting guests to solely important guests, together with caregivers. Pausing short-term and momentary absences for social or private causes. Solely absences for medical or compassionate causes will likely be allowed.
“We acknowledge that these restrictions are being launched only one week after we introduced new measures for the Metropolis of Toronto, the Area of Peel, and the Metropolis of Ottawa,” Dr. Merrilee Fullerton, minister of long-term care, mentioned in a information launch Saturday.
“We additionally know we should act quick to handle altering situations to guard the residents and workers in Ontario‘s long-term care houses.”
A whole listing of the impacted houses will be discovered right here.
York Area to maneuver to modified Stage 2
The brand new restrictions come in the future after Ontario introduced stricter well being measures for all of York Area in an effort to comprise what the province is looking an “alarming” surge in COVID-19 circumstances in that space.
Premier Doug Ford mentioned the area will likely be moved again right into a modified Stage 2 of the province’s pandemic plan, which bans indoor service in eating places, closes gyms and film theatres, and restricts public gatherings to 10 folks indoors and 25 folks outdoor.
The tighter measures take impact Monday and will likely be in place for 28 days.
“I hate doing this,” Ford mentioned in asserting the restrictions on Friday. “We simply must cease the unfold.”
The announcement comes per week after Toronto, Peel Area and Ottawa had been positioned below related restrictions amid rising circumstances.
Most areas entered Stage 2, which positioned restrictions on non-essential companies, in June and progressed to Stage 3 in July, although a number of had been slower to maneuver by means of the levels.
Practically all companies and public areas had been allowed to reopen in Stage 3, with well being measures in place.
Elliott mentioned Friday there was an “alarming upward development” in circumstances in York Area not too long ago, and proof of neighborhood unfold that requires stronger public well being intervention. You may watch her feedback within the video beneath:
Ontario sees 10 new deaths
Different areas are additionally seeing higher will increase in COVID-19 circumstances.
Areas that noticed double-digit will increase Saturday embody:
Durham Area: 30. Halton Area: 25. Waterloo Area: 19. Hamilton: 12. Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Well being: 10.
In the meantime, Ontario‘s official COVID-19 demise toll grew by 10 and is now 3,041.
The province now has a complete of 63,713 circumstances of COVID-19, together with 54,686 which are thought-about resolved. Some 682 circumstances had been marked resolved in Saturday’s replace.
The variety of sufferers in Ontario hospitals elevated by 17 and now sits at 278.
These requiring intensive care additionally elevated by 5 and is now 72, whereas these requiring ventilators elevated by six to 42.
Ontario‘s community of neighborhood, industrial and hospital labs processed 44,722 novel coronavirus check samples yesterday, the ministry says.
The backlog of checks ready to be processed presently sits at 33,630.