Greater than 160 residents of a seniors’ house in Rawdon have been pressured to depart their rooms Sunday morning, after a fireplace broke out.
In response to the Sûreté du Québec, the fireplace began at round 5 a.m. within the basement of Résidence Sainte-Anne on Queen Avenue.
Though among the residents skilled some smoke inhalation, the SQ says nobody was significantly injured.
“A couple of of the residents have been taken to hospital due to, amongst different issues, respiratory points,” stated Michel Vauclair, regional director of Immobilier BBCF, which runs the house.
Firefighters and first responders transported the residents of the house’s 164 rooms to a close-by school campus. The residence is house to each autonomous and semi-autonomous seniors.
“We have now groups of health-care employees, nurses and ambulance technicians who’re there to guage the well being of the residents. They’re additionally there to verify the residents can ultimately be relocated for individuals who are unable to return to their rooms,” stated Philippe Éthier, deputy director of the CISSS de Lanaudière.
The extent of the harm continues to be unclear and it isn’t but recognized when residents will be capable of return to their properties. Additionally it is nonetheless unclear how the fireplace began.